Home Automation is a term used to describe the working together of all household amenities and appliances. For example, a centrally-controlled LCD panel can have the capability to control everything from heating, air conditioning, security systems, audio systems, video systems, lighting, kitchen appliances, and home theatre installations. A diagram of a home automation system is shown below.
The household activities are automated by the development of special appliances such as water heaters to reduce the time taken to boil water for bathing and automatic washing machines to reduce manual labour of washing clothes. In developed countries, homes are wired for electrical power, doorbell, TV outlets, and telephones. The different application includes when a person enters the room, the light turns on. In advanced technology, the room can sense the presence of the person and who the person is.
Taking into account the day of the week, time of the day and other such factors it can also set apt lighting, temperature levels, television channels or music levels. In the case of a smoke detector when fire or smoke is detected, the lights in the entire house begin to blink to alert the resident to the probable fire. In case of a home theatre, the home automation system can avoid distraction and lock the audio and video components and can also make an announcement. The home automation system can also dial up the house owner on their mobile phone to alert them or call any alarm monitoring company.
It is essential that the different controllable appliances be interconnected and communicate with each other. The basic aim of Home automation is to control or monitor signals from different appliances, or basic services. A smart phone or web browser can be used to control or monitor the home automation system.
The household activities such as food preservation and preparation is automated with the movement of pre packaged food or pre-made food. Automation of handling the food in the home is possible to only standardized products.
The use of electricity facilitated the automation in heating which trim down the manual toil to gas stoves and fuel heaters. The growth of thermostats enables automated control of heating and cooling at a later stage.
Other automated activity includes the air conditioner set to an energy saving setting when the house is vacant and get back to the normal setting when the resident is about to return home. The classy system preserve a list of products, records the usage through bar codes or an RFID tag and replaces the order automatically.
Computers, wireless transmitters, cell phones, and touch screens controls different features of home automation such as:
1. Security – With home automation, the lights of the car are turned on in order to help you to walk in the dark. In case the alarm goes off, the authorities can be alerted and a message can be sent to your cell phone by the system.
2. Thermostat – This is programmed to run the central heating and cooling system as per our own required settings. For example, air conditioner is set to an energy saving setting when the house is vacant and sets back to the normal setting when the resident is about to return home.
3. Drapes – With the help of the home automation system, the drapes of the room can be opened and closed during the night time.
4. Lighting – This can be set as per our own required settings for dim and bright light.
5. Audio/Video – The home automation system can turn on the stereo and play music or can also turn on the television to any channel.
6. Lawn sprinklers – The sprinkler system can be activated as per the schedule settings.
7. Vacuuming – Robotic vacuum cleaners automatically glides over the carpet to help you keep the house neat and tidy.