SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply)
Table of Contents:
Written By:Preeti Jain
Applications of SMPS:
· Machine tool industries
· Security systems like the CCTVs
· AV products
· Support supplies for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
The future of the SMPS is aimed at making it more efficient which goes on to a better converter doing the most effective conversion process. The main focus of designers in making the SMPS efficient includes:
· Higher output power
· Achieving higher current output and low voltage
· Increasing power density
· Using switching device like Schottky diode
SiC Schottky diode can be used as an active device in place of a transistor with high switching frequency. These SiC Schottky diode are benchmark in 300-600 V range of operation. The switching characteristics of a SiC Schottky diode is shown here.
Advantages of High Switching Frequencies:
· Continuous current mode operation possible with ultrafast diode.
· High switching frequencies with identical efficiency: smaller and cheaper passive components.
· Absence of reverse recovery : smaller MOSFET and/or higher reliability
Learn about SMPS through exclusive images in the Insight teardown of a conventional SMPS.