1.1 AIM AND OBJECTIVE
In some industries proper maintenance of the controlling system or industrial devices is crucial to deliver an uninterrupted output. So to reduce the maintenance costs and to optimize critical monitoring system GSM Based Industrial Automation Technology is used.
In this project a GSM server is implemented with PSOC mixed signal chip, sensors and relays. The GSM Modem can provide the necessary data related to industry to a maintenance officer located anywhere at any time. According to data received officer will take some action by sending some commands to PSOC chip through mobile unit to GSM modem. PSOC chip decodes the commands and controls the industrial devices through relays.
1.2 SCOPE OF THE PROJECT
The scope includes connecting the different control systems to relays for controlling the environment. The PSOC microcontroller can be used for implementation of more complex systems for complex tasks like controlling different systems like nuclear plants and reactors in the industry. It can also be used in the system where there is a need of instrumentation, inverting and non inverting amplifiers.
1.3 INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION
Automation or industrial automation or numerical control is the use of control systems such as computers to control industrial machinery and processes, reducing the need for human intervention. In the scope of industrialization, automation is a step beyond mechanization. Whereas mechanization provided human operators with machinery to assist them with the physical requirements of work, automation greatly reduces the need for human sensory and mental requirements as well. Processes and systems can also be automated. Automation plays an increasingly important role in the global economy and in daily experience. Engineers strive to combine automated devices with mathematical and organizational tools to create complex systems for a rapidly expanding range of applications and human activities.
Many roles for humans in industrial processes presently lie beyond the scope of automation. Human-level pattern recognition, language recognition, and language production ability are well beyond the capabilities of modern mechanical and computer systems. Tasks requiring subjective assessment or synthesis of complex sensory data, such as scents and sounds, as well as high-level tasks such as strategic planning, currently require human expertise. In many cases, the use of humans is more cost-effective than mechanical approaches even where automation of industrial tasks is possible.
Specialized hardened computers, referred to as programmable logic controllers (PLCs), are frequently used to synchronize the flow of inputs from (physical) sensors and events with the flow of outputs to actuators and events. This leads to precisely controlled actions that permit a tight control of almost any industrial process.
Human-machine interfaces (HMI) or computer human interfaces (CHI), formerly known as man-machine interfaces, are usually employed to communicate with PLCs and other computers, such as entering and monitoring temperatures or pressures for further automated control or emergency response. Service personnel who monitor and control these interfaces are often referred to as stationary engineers.
Industrial automation is the process of controlling and guiding the industrial equipment, i.e. process and systems with less of the human intervention. The operation and control of the modern industrial equipment and process needs lot of sensors to monitor various parameters of the systems.
1.3.1 Importance of Automation
Automation can improve productivity and quality. In order to receive these benefits, educating the workers on the machinery is necessary. Companies must contemplate their objectives of automating before incorporating any machinery.
- As factory automation technology becomes more capable, more functional and ubiquitous, its meaning and purpose take on many interpretations.
- Factory automation delivers increased product and process information, and of course, improves product quality.
- Technology is used in so many ways and for so many different ends that it is almost impossible to have a single definition that includes all the solutions factory automation delivers.
- MVI's RPM system, in effect, documents the way a company manages its people.
- Its various data templates can be configured to address management and executive information needs.
- It presents real-time data that will help hem to do something with the information and make an informed decision.
- System monitoring showed that unit costs varied by as much as 50 percent over the three daily shifts.
- Providing proper training to the operators led to increased productivity and a more consistent unit cost.
- Factory automation's capabilities are multi-faceted and provide answers to the questions asked of it.
- They have been forced to change from basic suppliers of parts, components or equipment to a take position where they help customers realize greater productivity, quality and a competitive edge from OEM purchases.
- Because there are fewer mechanical components, the OEM can deliver the press at a lower initial cost to the printer or publisher.
- While increased productivity is the clarion call for the OEM, end users must contend with a growing list of factory automation opportunities, a challenge for implementing successful factory automation.
- Among the initiatives that Siemens has started is one called Totally Integrated Power, or TIP, to better manage energy costs and save money
- It can also lead to decreased factory power outages and improve uptime.
- As with any powerful technology, consider your risk before you take action.
- Make sure you have a solid set of goals and objectives that meet your company's operating needs.
1.3.2 Context of the project
Monitoring of the Critical sensor monitoring is very important in several industries (Nuclear plants, power plants, petroleum and gas). This job should be done with at most accuracy and reliably. The sensor information should be available at various locations simultaneously to take accurate decisions. This kind of requirement can be met by using the central servers and connecting the sensor networks through the controllers to the central servers. Most of the systems require features which are given by web server kind of architecture on wireless
· Authentication (of the person commanding).
· Port numbers for each connecting application.
• But the deployment of the web server is costly and complex to maintain.
• Maintaining the wireless network has issues.
• GSM network is readily available wireless secured network.
• Growing technological research towards 3G suggests this alternative.