This paper is on the urgent need of today’s Aviation Sector which comes smart materials in airplanes. We have made wireless system i.e. a real time Flight Data Recorder (FDR) in which the data (Parameters like Engine Temperature, Fuel Level, Speed, Location (Latitude And Longitude) etc.) gets stored in real time, in the plane’s FDR (commonly known as Black Box), same data will get transferred to our Personal Computer (PC) which is on ground. The data will be transferred via XBEE-RF Module (long range). Also, the Global Positioning System (GPS) device will send the Position coordinates logged by the micro-controller at periodic intervals. After processing the data, the data will be uploaded to the server via the GPRS / Internet Connection. The program resident on the server will process the data and map the position on a digital map. The digital map view can be accessed through and other PC’s using the Protocol, thus giving real time positioning and different parameters of the plane on ground.
“This paper focuses on sufficient data for analyzing the air disasters as short term application, and reduction of air disasters as long term goal.”
Today there are hundreds of plane flying around the world. Some of the Airports have hundreds of plane landing in a very short span of time. Any mistakes at this point of time can mean accident.
1. The weather can be foggy or it can rain heavily making the runway slippery.
2. Also the Pilot can be nervous and can neglect any sign of any parameter being faulty.
In this Paper we are logging the Plane’s Parameter online, parameters like Engine Temperature, Fuel Level, Speed, Location (Latitude And Longitude) etc, for this we have the respective sensors interfaced to the Micro-Controller through MUX and ADC and a On Board GPS to sense the exact location of the plane. The plane sends this information online via XIGBEE Pro-868 to the Ground unit which keeps a track of hundreds of planes at one time.
Flight Data Recorder
A Flight Data Recorder (FDR) (also ADR, for accident data recorder) is a kind of flight recorder. It is a device used to record specific aircraft performance parameters. Another kind of flight recorder is the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR), which records conversation in the cockpit, radio communications between the cockpit crew and others (including conversation with air traffic control personnel), as well as ambient sounds. In some cases, both functions have been combined into a single unit.
Popularly referred to as a "BLACK BOX,"(in Fig) the data recorded by the FDR is used for accident investigation, as well as for analyzing air safety issues, material degradation and engine performance. Due to their importa nce in investigating accidents, these ICAO-regulated devices are arefully engineered and stoutly constructed to withstand the force of a high speed impact and the heat of an intense fire. Contrary to the "Black Box" reference, the exterior of the FDR is coated w ith heat-resistant bright orange paint for high visibility in wreckage, and the unit is usually mounted in the aircraft's empennage (tail section), where it i s more likely to survive a severe crash. Following an accident, recovery of the "Black Boxes" is second in importance only to the rescue of survivors and recovery of human remains.
To develop a Wireless Flight Data Recorder we are going to record the data of the airplane which is getting recorded in BLAC K BOX on our personal computer.
In this project we are trying to overcome the short-comings of FDR via
1) Data Recording : A Wireless FDR can record parameters (such as Fuel Level, EngineTemperature, Cabin Temperature, Location (latitude and longitude) of Airplane via GPS, we have the same data of plane in our personal computer so that if the FDR gets lost or if because of some problem it stops working, we have the data with us.
2) Pilot can be Informed : In an EMERGENCY, if due to some reason pilot didn’t notices the malfunction in plane, pilot can be alerted, immediately. In that we can save hundreds of lives and prevent many Air Disasters.
3) Prevent Pilots Error : As pilots send information to ATC, a wrong information can lead to an accident, with the help of our system we can get rid of this procedure.
4) Prevent Future Accident : Also, via this project we can find the reason of accident, which could be rectified in future.