Distance measurement using InfraRed sensor with ADC0804 & 8051 microcontroller (AT89C51)
Infrared sensors find numerous applications in electronic systems. Commonly used as obstacle detector, their output is used in digital form (high & low logic) by employing a comparator. This topic explains a way to use the sensor’s output in its original analog form. Thus, along with detecting an obstacle, its exact distance can also be obtained. This is achieved by processing the output of IR sensor through an ADC0804 (analog to digital converter). The ADC is calibrated to get almost accurate distance measurement.
The measured distance is also displayed on an LCD screen. The ADC0804 and LCD are interfaced with 8051 microcontroller (AT89C51) to perform these operations. The major drawback of IR based sensors is their capability of detecting short distances.
This project mainly consists of three units: a sensor unit, an ADC component and the LCD module.
The IR receiver detects the IR radiations transmitted by an IR LED. The output voltage level of this IR sensor depends upon the intensity of IR rays received by the receiver. The intensity, in turn, depends on the distance between the sensor module and the obstacle. When the distance between IR pair and obstacle is lesser, more IR radiations fall on the receiver, and vice versa. The receiver along with a resistor forms a voltage divider whose output is supplied as the input for ADC0804.
An IR LED, also known as IR transmitter, is a special purpose LED that transmits infrared rays in the range of 760 nm wavelength. Suc...
A preset is a three legged electronic component which can be made to offer varying resistance in a circuit. The resistance is varied by adjusting the rotary control over it. The adjustment can be done by using a small screw driver or...
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screen is an electronic display module and find a wide range of applications. A 16x2 LCD display is very basic module and is very commonly used in various devices and circuits. These modules are preferred over seven segments...
Analog to digital converters find huge application as an intermediate device to convert the signals from analog to digital form. These digital signals are used for further processing by the digital processors. Various sensors like temperature, pressure, force etc. convert the physical characteristics into electrical signals that are analog in nature....
Free Circuit Design & Simulation Tool by TI
TINA-TI is a powerful circuit design and simulation tool. TINA-TI is ideal for designing, testing, and troubleshooting a broad variety of basic and advanced circuits, including complex architectures, without any node or number of device limitations.
TINA is an easy-to-use, powerful circuit simulation tool based on a SPICE engine. TINA-TI is a fully functional version of TINA, loaded with a library of TI macromodels plus passive and active models.
TINA-TI's new version 9 has changes from Version 7.0 in the following areas:
- Schematic Symbol Editor (useable with the Macro Wizard) is included, so you can create your own symbols for imported SPICE macromodels.
- Macros do not have to be from TI - you can import anyone's SPICE model now!
- Does not require active or non-linear components for analysis (so you can now run a circuit using just passives).
- TINA-TI includes Initial Condition and Nodeset components
- TINA-TI includes Linear and nonlinear controlled sources (VCVS, CCVS, VCCS, CCCS), and the Controlled Source Wizard.
- TINA-TI now allows WAV files to be used as stimulus (signal sources). You can play calculated waveforms on PC's multimedia system, and export calculated waveforms as a *.wav file.
- TINA-TI has Multi-core processor support; this along with other optimizations makes simulations run 2-20 times faster.
- Schematic file import/export in XML format
- Block Wizard included for making block diagrams
- TINA-TI has more SPICE models and example circuits included.
- Circuits developed in TINA-TI 9 will work with TINA Industrial version 9.
- TINA-TI Version 7.0 is forward compatible with Version 9, and version 9 supports saving schematics in version 7.0 format.
- Available in English, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Russian versions.