Dialog Semiconductor has launched a new DA14531 module that provides an easy-to-configure solution to facilitate and support the next-generation of Internet of Things (IoT) systems.
The SmartBond TINY module is specifically designed to significantly reduce the cost of adding Bluetooth low-energy functionality to an IoT device. Its easy- to-use design and software aids in development of highly functional connected devices, targeting the next generation of connected individuals, homes, hospitals, and workplaces.
The module has two unique features to do away with the complexity often associated with traditional Bluetooth low energy development, and empower customers to avail robust IoT products regardless of their software coding capabilities:
1. The configurable Dialog Serial Port Service (DSPS) software emulates a universal asynchronous receiver-transmitter (UART) serial port over BLE, removing the need to write Bluetooth software for “BLE Pipe” applications while connecting the product to a host MCU’s serial port.
2. The module’s new Codeless software takes this concept even further by replacing complex code with a simple series of human readable ASCII commands that can be used to generate customer applications. The software uses the standardised Hayes AT-style command set to configure and operate the module effortlessly.
“The module further leverages the capabilities of the SoC, including an integrated antenna and all required components, to add BLE functionality to an IoT system in high volumes at a cost of under $1,” said Sean McGrath, Senior VP, Connectivity and Audio BG, Dialog Semiconductor. “The price point for BLE functionality, performance and quality is unmatched in the market.”
Technical features of DA14531 module:
- The hand solderable stamp type module offers 9 GPIOs.
- It measures 12.5 x 14.5mm in size.
- External components, including passives, XTAL, antenna and FLASH memory, are all integrated into the module, so, customers don’t need to source individual components separately.
- The module is fully certified for worldwide operation, with FCC certification for the Americas and CE certification for Europe, further reducing development time, effort and cost.
- It is effectively future-proofed, thanks to a combination of Bluetooth 5.1 compliance and support for over-the-air software updates.
“Not only is this module breaking barriers in terms of cost and power, it is extremely handy for both beginners and experts to use, ensuring that all customers can benefit from its high level of integration and programmable ease of use,” added McGrath.
A provider of power management, charging, AC/DC power conversion, BLE, low power Wi-Fi and Industrial ICs, Dialog Semiconductor is a company primarily focused on the development of power efficient semiconductor technology for the IoT, mobile computing and automotive applications.