Littelfuse, Inc., a global manufacturer of circuit-protection, power control and sensing technologies, has launched the Gate Drive Evaluation Platform (GDEV). The new evaluation platform helps designers evaluate SiC MOSFETs, SiC Schottky diodes, and other peripheral components (such as gate driver circuitry). The aim is to provide designers a better understanding of how silicon carbide technologies will behave in converter applications under continuous operating conditions.
“The Gate Drive Evaluation Platform (GDEV) is a critical addition to our SiC technology portfolio because SiC is still relatively new and there are some unknowns surrounding the operating characteristics under various conditions,” said Corey Deyalsingh, Director, Power Control at Littelfuse.
The GDEV offers quick-connect header pin terminals that allow for rapid and consistent comparison of different gate drive circuits, unlike most other SiC evaluation platforms. The GDEV supports an 800 V DC link input voltage and up to 200 kHz switching frequency.
“The GDEV helps engineers understand the operating characteristics of SiC devices,” added Deyalsingh. “By utilizing this evaluation platform, designers will be better informed about the incredibly energy efficient opportunities that SiC technologies present. Equipped with that knowledge, we anticipate that designers will be more likely to incorporate SiC into their future designs.”
Typical markets and applications for the GDEV include:
- Automotive EC/HEV charging stations
- Industrial power supplies
- Datacenter servers
- Telecom base stations
- Solar and wind-power inverters
The Gate Drive Evaluation Platform from Littelfuse enables users to:
- Evaluate continuous operation of SiC power MOSFETs and diodes under rated voltage and rated current, delivering real power to the load.
- Analyze system-level impacts associated with SiC-based designs including efficiency improvements, EMI emissions and passive components (size, weight, cost).
- Compare the performance of different gate driver solutions under well-defined and optimized test conditions.
- Test gate driving circuits under continuous working conditions to evaluate gate driver thermal performance and EMI immunity.
To learn more, read the Gate Drive Evaluation Platform application note.
Requests for the Gate Drive Evaluation Platform (LF-SIC-EVB-GDEV1) can be placed through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide. For a listing of Littelfuse distributors, please visit Littelfuse.com.