I brought wired remote controlled car for my little princess. Using wired remote it can move forward and reverse. It was very simple toy car with a DC motor inside and in remote there were two AAA size battery cells with two buttons – one to move motor forward and another to move reverse. It was working very fine and car runs very nice. But once, my baby broke the remote. I tried to repair it but the buttons contacts were broken so it was not possible to repair it.
So I just decided to make new remote for motor.
The remote can be built using one DPDT switch, one sliding switch and 3 AAA size batteries.
DPDT switch is as shown in figure given below with its internal connections. It has 6 terminals and it is used to move the car forward and reverse. Means this switch will simply work as joystick – when switch is moved forward, the car will go forward and vice versa.
The sliding switch is as shown in figure given below. It has 3 terminals and used to turn ON or OFF the supply to toy car.
Now let us start wiring up the circuit.
First connect 3 batteries in series to get total 4.5 V supply. For further connections please refer the Circuit wiring diagram.
1. Connect +Ve terminal of battery supply to middle terminal of sliding switch
2. Connect any one side terminal of sliding terminal to terminal A of DPDT switch as shown.
3. The middle two terminals of DPDT switch X and Y are connected to car motor with long wire (around 2-3 meter)
4. Both side terminals A-B and A’-B’ are cross connected – means A is connected with B’ and B is connected with B’. that will give reversible supply to DC motor of car
• When sliding switch is moved to ON position, the motor gets supply through A – X – Y – A’. So it will rotate and that moves toy car forward
• If DPDT switch position is changed, the motor gets supply through B’ – Y – X – B. so it will start rotating reverse and that makes toy car to move reverse
• Thus sliding switch runs or stops the toy car and DPDT switch moves car forward and reverse
When I handed over the car and remote to my daughter, again I found one problem. The speed of car was very high that my little daughter cannot handle it.
So next I think to add speed control and vary the speed of motor so that she can comfortably controls the car.
For this I added multi point sliding switch to give 3 different supply of 1.5 V, 3 V and 4.5 V. I can do this very easily because there are 3 AAA size battery cells so I can tap the supply from each cell and vary the speed of car.
Now simple sliding switch is replaced by multi point sliding switch. It has 8 terminals and 4 connections. When switch is in 1st connection, battery is not connected to car. So car is stop. When it is moved to 2nd position, toy car motor gets only single battery cell supply of 1.5 V. so it will move very slowly. As switch is moved further to 3rd position, toy car motor gets supply of two batteries (3 V). So its speed slightly increased. And finely, when switch is moved to last position, toy car motor gets supply from all 3 batteries of 4.5 V and runs at full speed.
So this is how I can have speed control of car also. And now, my daughter can easily handles her toy car at ease with full of joy.
Here are some of the snaps of toy car with remote.