Diodes Incorporated (Diodes) (Nasdaq: DIOD) is targeting growth opportunities in USB Type-C technology, and lower power operation needs, with two new bit-level retimers
The DIODES PI2DPT1021 is a bit-level retimer with receiver adaptive CTLE and transmitter 3-tap equalization that can compensate channel loss up to -23dB for 5GHz signal transmission. It supports DP1.4 and USB3.2 standards for USB Type-C DP ALT mode operation.
The operation configurations are programmable via I2C interface to select 4-lane DP, 2-lane DP/1 lane USB3.2 Gen1x1/Gen2x1, 1/2 lane USB3.2 Gen1x1/Gen2x1, or USB3.2 Gen2x2.
To achieve good power-saving management, this device uses the common 1.8v Vdd power supply. It complies with USB link power-management states for active mode (U0) and power-saving mode (U1, U2, U3). USB Rx detection monitors the plug condition of the TX terminals continuously. The LFPS signal detector detects the LBPM (LFPS Based PWM Message) of USB mode.
Under the Displayport operation, the AUX Listener will monitor the AUX communication for data rate, lane count, swing and pre-emphasis setting, and power-saving D3 mode setting. The SINK side HPD connection signal is set via a I2C register by the system PD controller. The integrated AUX/SBU switch maps the Displayport AUX+/- pins and to the Type-C SBU1/SBU2 pins automatically.
The bi-directional design provides the flexibility if DFP and UFP signal flow is swapped which is a convenient setting on the fly for active cable application or it can give more layout option for signal flow selection.
With the merit of the bit level ReTimer design, PI2DPT1021 has low latency from signal input to output (< 1ns) that serves good interoperability among various USB and DP devices.
- Compliant for USB 10Gbps / DP1.4 8.1Gbps standard
- DP Alt standard mode support; DP 4-lane, USB 1 lane/DP 2 lane, USB 2 lane Retimer normal / flip insertion
- Support Dual-port USB Jitter cleaning or DP 4-lane Forward/ Backward data-flow mode
- -23dB at 5GHz channel-loss compensation
- Low Latency < 1ns.
- Adaptive Continuous Time Linear Equalizer (CTLE)
- No reference clock design
- Rx termination detection for power-saving control
- Selectable adjustment of 3-taps transmitter
- Single power supply of 1.8±90mV.
- Totally lead-free and fully RoHS-compliant (Notes 1 & 2)
- Halogen and antimony-free. “Green” Device (Note 3)
- An automotive-compliant part is available under separate data sheet (The DIODES PI2DPT1021Q)
- Source devices: tablets, smart phones, notebooks, desktops, all-in-one PCs
- Sink devices: monitors, TVs
- PC docking, active cables, dongles (adapters)
Filed Under: Components, Consumer Electronics, News, Power Management