Harwin, a supplier of reliable and high-performance connectivity solutions, has introduced flexible printed circuits (FPCs) for its Datamate J-Tek and Gecko high-reliability (Hi-Rel) connectors.
As a result, printed circuit boards or PCBs (which mechanically supports and electrically connects electrical or electronic components within a system design) can now be stacked much closer together, proving their utility where there is little space above the board surface.
In fact, these components can be kept at the periphery of the board, resulting in thermal management and ease of mating benefits.
Ideal for aerospace, motorsport, satellite and defense installations, Harwin FPCs provide engineers with lower profile interconnect solutions.
The following are the salient features of both connectors with FPCs
The Datamate J-Tek option:
- A 2mm-pitch connector
- 1A-rated 1mm-pitch FPC
- Supplied in a single-ended design fitted with a male connector
The Gecko option:
- A1.25mm-pitch connector
- A 0.4A-rated 0.5mm-pitch FPC
- Available in single- or double-ended configurations.
While standard 10-contact assemblies are supplied from stock, other assemblies are available on request.
The advantages of FPCs:
- Copper-clad polyimide base with a bonded overlay.
- Rigid area at each end to aid connector mounting.
- Capable of supporting a much tighter bend radius than conventional cables.
- Suited to dynamic movement if bent.
- Innovative four-finger design used for the Beryllium Copper contacts.
- Strong resilience to shock (up to 100G) and vibrational forces (up to 20G), without breaks in signal.
- Interconnect integrity is maintained with inclusion of stainless steel jackscrews on the Datamate connectors and sturdy latches on the Gecko connectors.
These FPCs offer an operational temperature range matching the relevant connectors, up to 65°C to +150°C. Their free ends are compatible with industry standard FPC/FFC connectors that accept 0.3mm thickness circuits.
The product range of FPC assemblies include:
- Male-to-Female (Female-to-Male) flexible circuit assembly, 75mm long to 10 contacts (5+5).
- Manufactured with G125-MS11005L3P male SMT connector (fitted with copper alloy latches) and G125-FS11005L0P female SMT connector (compatible for mating to male connectors with latches).
- Male single-ended flexible circuit assembly, 75mm long – 10 contacts (5+5).
- Manufactured with G125-MS11005L3P male SMT connector, fitted with copper alloy latches.
- Free end compatible with industry standard FPC/FFC connectors, with a 0.5mm pitch.
- Male single-ended flexible circuit assembly, 100mm long to 10 contacts (5+5).
- Manufactured with M80-5021042 male SMT connector, fitted with internal jackscrews.
- Free end compatible with industry standard FPC/FFC connectors, with a 1mm pitch.
Filed Under: Components