Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, announced two new high-speed, isolated RS-485 differential bus transceivers. These provide 40Mbps bi-directional data communication for Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) networks. The ISL32741E offers 1,000VRMS working voltage and 6kV of reinforced isolation, more than 2x higher than competitive solutions. The higher working voltage and reinforced isolation are required for today’s most rigorous medical and high-speed motor control applications.
Intersil Introduces High-Speed RS-485 Transceivers with Highest Reinforced Isolation
(Image Courtesy: Intersil)
The ISL32740E with 2.5kV of isolation and 600VRMS working voltage comes in the industry’s smallest package, enabling high channel density for programmable logic controllers (PLCs) in factory automation applications. These devices provide additional advantages over other isolation technologies like ultra-low radiated emission and EMI susceptibility, support for up to 160 devices on the bus, and an extended 125℃ temperature range.
These transceivers leverage giant magnetoresistance (GMR) technology that offers galvanic isolation to keep the communication bus free from common-mode noise generated in the electrically noisy factory and building automation environments. Apart from not requiring any shielding, these devices simplify PCB layout, use less board space, and enhance data transmission reliability and integrity.
Key Features of ISL32741E and ISL32740E Family
· 40Mbps data rate enables high-speed data transmission
· Supports 3V to 5V power supplies
· Offers 5ns pulse skew and 20ns propagation delay
· The ISL32741E offers 6kVRMS isolation/1,000VRMS working voltage, and 12.8kV surge immunity
· The ISL32740E offers 2.5kVRMS isolation/600VRMS working voltage
· Single unit load allows up to 160 devices on the bus
· 50kV/µs (typ), 30kV/µs (min) common-mode transient immunity provides reliable data transmission in noisy environments
· Offers a barrier lifetime of 44,000 years
· 15kV ESD bus-pin protection, and low EMC footprint
· Thermal shutdown protection prevents damage during bus contention or excessive current
· PROFIBUS compliant
Pricing & Availability
Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, is a leading provider of innovative power management and precision analog solutions. The company’s products form the building blocks of increasingly intelligent, mobile and power hungry electronics, enabling advances in power management to improve efficiency and extend battery life.
With a deep portfolio of intellectual property and a rich history of design and process innovation, Intersil is the trusted partner to leading companies in some of the world’s largest markets, including industrial and infrastructure, mobile computing, automotive and aerospace.
Filed Under: News