Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, has introduced a highly integrated programmable power management IC (PMIC). It delivers 91% efficiency at 1.1 V output voltage for application processors, GPUs, FPGAs, and high-performance system power. The new PMIC carries low RDS (on) MOSFETs and programmable PWM frequency which allow designers to use fewer low-profile external components, enabling a 50mm2 power-supply that is 40% smaller than competing solutions.
The ISL91211 triple/quad output PMIC is ideal for smartphones, tablet computers, solid-state drives, networking and wireless Internet of Things (IoT) devices powered by single-cell Lithium-ion (Li-on) batteries, or 2.5V – 5.5V power supplies. It leverages Intersil’s latest R5™ modulation technology to provide the industry’s fastest single-cycle transient response and highest switching frequency (4MHz) during load transients.
Intersil Unveils Smallest Footprint and Highest Efficiency PMIC (Image Courtesy: Intersil)
Moving on, the Quiescent current is only 62μA while the ISL91211 is regulating the output voltage. The PMIC’s superior light load efficiency, regulation accuracy and fast dynamic response prolong battery life. It includes highly efficient synchronous buck converters capable of multiphase and single-phase operation while delivering up to 5A per phase of continuous output current.
In addition, the PMIC has four integrated buck controllers dynamically reconfigure their power stages to address a wide range of applications with high efficiency and high output power. Precise current sensing allows the ISL91211 to automatically and smoothly add or drop phases to optimize power efficiency, and provide overcurrent protection without requiring DCR or resistor sensing circuits at the inductor.
Key Features and Specifications
• Available in two factory configurable options:
1. ISL91211A: four-phase, three output rails configured as 2+1+1 phase
2. ISL91211B: four-phase, four output rails configured as 1+1+1+1 phase
• 5A maximum current per phase up to 20A with four phases
• R5 modulator architecture balances current loads with smooth phase adding and dropping for power efficiency optimization
• Soft-start and full protection against under voltage, over voltage, overcurrent, and overtemperature
• I2C and SPI programmable output from 0.3V to 2V
• Automatic diode emulation mode for 91% efficiency at 1.1V output voltage
• Less than 0.1uA quiescent current (Iq) when EN=0V, and 17uA when EN=3.7V
• ±0.7% system accuracy; Output voltage remote sensing for accurate voltage regulation at the point-of-load
• Independent dynamic voltage scaling for each output
• Input voltage range of 2.5V to 5.5V
Pricing and Availability
The ISL91211 PMIC is available in two options: ISL91211A triple-output PMIC and ISL91211B quad-output PMIC supplied in 2.511mm x 3.610mm, 54-ball WLCSP packages. Both PMIC options are available now and priced at $3.90 USD in 1k quantities.
Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation is a leading provider of innovative power management and precision analog solutions. The company’s products form the building blocks of increasingly intelligent, mobile and power hungry electronics, enabling advances in power management to improve efficiency and extend battery life.
With a deep portfolio of intellectual property and a rich history of design and process innovation, Intersil is the trusted partner to leading companies in some of the world’s largest markets, including industrial and infrastructure, mobile computing, automotive and aerospace.
Filed Under: News