In this project we are going to make heart beat monitor system which will be able to send the readings in bpm to the doctor directly through internet using MQTT protocol from anywhere in the world.
The ESP 8266 and Arduino are used to read the reading from sensor and then send them to the broker which is hivemqtt, from broker the APP which is with the doctor receives the reading and alerts.
Heart beat can be measured by the infrared LED and a Photo diode, now the sensor can be connected to the Arduino or any microcontroller’s analog pin, the values then can be rectified and sent to the ESP module. From there the data is sent to the cloud.
From the cloud the mobile App receives the readings and thus the heart rates can be monitored.
Basic network of the system
The heartbeat monitor system is connected to the WIFI router of home or to the hotspot of mobile from there the data is being send to the cloud and then the broker sends the data to the mobile app from which the doctor can monitor the changes in the heart rate.
Since we are using MQTT there will be no need for opening port in router or giving the module a specific IP, all the traffic is going through the MQTT protocol.
The anatomy of complete project
The project has two parts one for taking the readings and sending them to the cloud called control block the second is the monitoring part which has a mobile app that receives the data.
- Arduino and Heart rate sensor
- Monitoring Mobile App
1. Heartbeat monitoring
- Block 1 Receives the analog reading from sensor and sends the block 2 for calculation in bpm.
- Block 2 always takes the readings from the sensor, there are certain readings in the system, which are always checked against the readings if they met the condition the system sends an alert signal and also it keeps sending the heart rates to the ESP module.
- Block 3 Is publishing the readings and the alert signal from block 2 to two different topics so the doctor can set the mode between alert only and diagnosis.
2. Mobile app
- Block 1 receives the analog reading from sensor and sends the block 2 for calculation in bpm. There are two modes in the app one is always selected and is the default mode which is alert mode, the other mode is diagnose mode topic.
- Block 2 it receives the data from broker which is a callback function
- Block 3 handles the display of the mobile app, and control switch between modes. If the APP is on alert mode then it gives the alert when the patient is in attack or problem using notifications, but in the diagnosis mode the app simply subscribe itself to the topic diagnosis and then displays the reading on the screen.
You may also like:
Filed Under: Applications, Electronic Projects, Medical Electronics, Smart Wearables