Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. has introduced MAX32520 with ChipDNA, a microcontroller with built-in physically unclonable function (PUF) technology for financial and government-grade security. This technology allows for multiple layers of protection to provide the most advanced key-protection in a cost-effective format for use in IoT, healthcare, industrial, and computing systems.
In the wake of proliferation of interconnected things, sophisticated threats like poor crypto implementations or default password attacks have made IoT devices very vulnerable to security breach. Moreover, these devices are being deployed in uncontrolled and hostile areas that make them prone to even physical attacks.
Accordingly, there is need for enhanced system defense for mission-critical applications where exposing secret encryption keys can bring down networks, ruin reputations, end companies and even negatively affect people’s lives.
The MAX32520 ChipDNA secure Arm Cortex-M4 offers multiple layers of protection through its PUF technology, the industry’s most advanced key- protection method for safeguarding secrets used in cryptographic operations. It uses a tamper-proof PUF key for flash encryption, secure boot for root-of-trust and serial flash emulation.
Additionally, the physical security inherent in the PUF key eliminates the need for a battery to actively destroy secret-key materials when under attack. Until now, a battery has been an essential component to provide this highest level of secret-key protection in the most-sensitive applications.
- Advantages of MAX32520 The ChipDNA PUF circuitry of this product is highly resistant to physical attacks, ensuring the keys that protect data and systems are out of the reach of attackers.
- It provides the most robust form of IP security available on the market.
- Flash-encryption using PUF protects sensitive information with encryption keys that withstand even advanced physical inspection and prying.
- The DeepCover secure microcontroller can protect all user data, as it is equipped with SP 800-90A and SP 800-90B compliant TRNG and hardware accelerators for AES-256, ECDSA P-521 and SHA-512.
- Delivering up to 2MB of secure flash memory, it enables advanced applications to run in a highly secure environment.
- The product is quite cost-effective as it eliminates several components like a battery, a tamper monitor IC and system management micros. This secure microcontroller provides advanced security features, a 120MHz ARM Cortex M4 processor and plenty of memory.
Acknowledging that the threats to IoT systems are getting more advanced all the time, and tools to attack systems need to move from the realm of academia to the realm of open source.
“MAX32520 with ChipDNA is a step forward. Built around the most advanced key security technology and targeting IoT applications, it will protect your data and IP, and has the technology to future-proof designs against tomorrow’s system threats,” said Kris Ardis, executive director, Micros, Security and Software Business Unit at Maxim Integrated.