TRINAMIC Motion Control GmbH & Co. KG, now part of Maxim Integrated Products, recently introduced two new sets of slot type, embedded motion-control modules, and development tools that feature a unique, real-time, sensor-free control technology.
The control technology optimizes the power drawn by industrial motors, reducing wasted power by 50 percent, enabling the use of three times bigger industrial stepper and brushless direct current (BLDC) motors (up to 7A).
- The 2-phase bipolar stepper solutions: The 5A RMS TMCM-1230 and 6.5A RMS TMCM-1231 are integrated single-axis controller/driver slot type modules. Each powers 2-phase bipolar stepper motors and they share the same form factor and pinout for easy exchange. Both modules employ Trinamic’s unique, sensor-free technology to detect the power demands of the motor in real time, and then instantly adjust the current, reducing power by more than 50 percent compared to competitive solutions.
- Field-oriented control solutions: Trinamic also offers the 5A RMS TMCM-1637 and 7A RMS TMCM-1638 field-oriented motor controller/driver slot-type module that add Hall and ABN encoder capability for field oriented control (or vector control). These modules support single-phase direct current (DC) motors, 2-phase bipolar stepper motors and 3-phase BLDC motors.
- Free integrated development environment (IDE): To rapidly evaluate system performance and speed time to market, design engineers can use Trinamic’s free IDE software together with the single-axis TMCM-BB1 or 4-axis TMCM-BB4baseboards controlled with the TMCM-0930-TMCL microcontroller module.
- Less power and cost to drive bigger motors: Integrated critical control reduces compute demand on the processor while reducing wasted drive power by 50 percent — permitting use of larger motors.
- Easy upgrade: The modules share the same form factor and pinout for easy exchange without rewiring to an external baseboard.
- Accelerate time to market: Intuitive integrated development environment helps the designer develop and test the system quickly.