ON Semiconductors recently introduced the first two devices for its completely new VE-Trac family of power modules for higher-voltage automotive traction inverters. These two power-integrated modules (PIM) devices offer edge-leading thermal and electrical performance.
The new devices in the VE-Trac family will include power devices, expanded module solutions, wide band gap (WBG), isolated gate drivers, and new module solutions. Together, these solutions will drive forward performance and provide automotive system designers a greater choice of high-quality products.
The newly released devices will be suitable for several kinds of main-traction inverters meant for electrically-powered vehicles, such as full hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and battery electric vehicles (BEVs). In addition, this means ON Semiconductors now allows two traction inverter platforms: VE-Trac Direct and VE-Trac Dual.
“These new highly integrated devices and the VE-Trac program as a whole, demonstrate ON Semiconductor’s commitment to delivering energy-efficient innovations within the automotive space that address current challenges and help drive the rapid evolution and adoption of electric power trains,” said Asif Jakwani, VP and GM of ON Semiconductors’ High-power Division, Power Solutions Group.
The VE-Trac Dual provides:
● A cluster of dual-side cool (DSC) half-bridge modules that can be scaled and stacked inside a compact footprint for various traction applications.
● A platform solution for all kinds of traction inverter applications, including from 80 to 300kW with the least amount of mechanical redesigning.
● The firstly released VE-Trac Dual device is rated from 750V at 800A, which makes it double in the capacity against all its contemporary counterparts.
● Market-leading thermal performance by using highly-effective dual-side cooling.
● An AQG-324 certified and module-loaded with a smart IGBT that offers a much faster reaction time for over-temperature and over-current protection features and gives our much more reliable solution.
● Zero wire bonds inside the module, which doubles the rated lifetime of the unit.
● Extra devices inside the VE-Trac Dual platform with different current level alternatives and high voltages will reach markets in coming months.
The VE-Trac Direct Platform offers:
● The best performance in its category.
● The first release listed on this platform is AQG-324 certified NVH820C75L4SPB.
● A six-pack configuration that’s trending among automotive OEMs and system makers.
● Rapid and simple scaling of power for various vehicle applications and platforms.
It’s also worth noting that both of these platforms can work consistently at a junction temperature that reaches 175° C, which means more power is delivery inside the compact modular solution footprint.
“As more devices and modules using a range of technologies and formats are released to the market we will continue to be able to address all types of traction inverter and motor applications,” added Jakwani. “Future announcements will include devices with higher and lower voltage capability than the initial two devices.”
Filed Under: Components, News