STMicroelectronics, is now working with industry’s best precision-motor provider, Maxon, to pace up the robotics design applications as well as industrial servo drives. The servo control kit developed under this partnership was recently showcased at a trade show in Nuremberg.
Named as the EVALKIT-ROBOT-1, this servo control kit is a simple plug-and-play solution designed to help users get hang of high-end motion and precise positioning in robotics and servo drives.
The kit is equipped with Maxon 100-Watt BLDC motor with a 1024-pulse built-on incremental encoder. The kit is a standing embodiment of this company’s prowess in motors’ magnetic designs. Such flawless designs ensure balance and smoothness of control even at lower rotor speeds.
The EVALKIT-ROBOT-1 also features ST’s STSPIN32F0A intelligent 3-phase motor controller along with an inverter stage created with ST power transistors. The kit also has motor-control firmware easing the motor initiation process and transmission of commands.
The list of noteworthy features doesn’t end here, it continues with some more interesting technicalities like:
- Critical circuitry for motor control along with an STM32F031C6 microcontroller.
- A three-phase inverter drive in a small 7mm x 7mm VFQFPN packaging.
- Plug-and-play firmware for FOC (Field-Oriented Control) and MODBUS communication along with precise positioning abilities.
- Current sensing circuitry and power management for more versatility and flexibility.
- Maxon EC-i-40, 100-Watt brushless, 40-mm diameter motor embedding a Maxon ENX 16 EASY 1024-pulse increment encoder.
- Hall sensors for detection of rotor position.
- Optimized design for lower cogging torque and high output torque.
- A 3-phase BLDC inverter power stage with STL7DN6LF3 60V, low resistance, N-channel MOSFETs.
In the words of maker
The head of Business Development Industrial Automation at Maxon Motor, Felix Herger, adds, “Our motors are trusted worldwide to deliver high quality, precision, and accuracy. Teaming with ST has created a platform that makes these attributes more easily accessible to a wider variety of product designers.”
Further, Motion Control Product Marketing Manager at STMicroelectronics, Branimir Ivetic, adds, “Designing high-end motion controls with accurate positioning capabilities is complex and time-consuming, demanding specialist skills. Working with Maxon, we have now put those skills in a box for our customers. The EVALKIT-ROBOT-1 kit accelerates the development of next-generation robotics and automation that delivers advanced capabilities and dexterity with excellent reliability and ease of use.”
The kit can be purchased from the official site of ST Microcontrollers for a price of $129.00.
Filed Under: Components