Texas Instruments, a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company, has announced the release of industry’s first fully integrated multiphase bidirectional DC/DC current controller. It’s capable enough to transfer electric power greater than 500 W per phase between dual 48-V and 12-V automotive battery systems. The LM5170-Q1 highly integrated analog controller utilizes an innovative average current-mode control method that overcomes the challenges of the present high-component-count, full digital control schemes.
The controller will be demonstrated at the Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC) in Tampa, Florida to be held from 27th to 29th March, 2017. LM5170-Q1 is the latest addition to the company’s portfolio of industry’s leading DC/DC converters, controllers, and charge pumps. These facilitate innovation and allow engineers to differentiate their power supply designs.
Texas Instruments Released Industry’s First Multiphase Bidirectional DC/DC Current Controller
As hybrid electric vehicles make use of both high-voltage 48-V battery and the standard 12-V automotive battery, the designers have to manage these dual battery systems with the help of digital control schemes which are bulky and expensive. In order to counter this challenge, TI has come up with a mixed architecture where the microcontroller handles higher-level intelligent system while the LM5170-Q1 analog controller offers power conversion.
Key Features and Benefits
• The controller’s 1% accurate bidirectional current regulation ensures precise power transfer.
• It monitors current with up to 99% accuracy.
• It achieves more than 97% power efficiency.
• It’s integrated with 5-A peak half-bridge gate drivers for high power capability.
• It’s AEC-Q100 qualified.
• Its average current-mode control method gives way to improved performance, simplified implementation and reduced costs.
• The diode emulation mode of the synchronous rectifier MOSFETs prevents negative current and enhances light load efficiency.
The LM5170-Q1 is made available in a 48-pin, 9mm x 9mm quad flat package. It can be bought for USD 5.84 in 1,000 unit quantities at the TI stores and authorized distributors.
Filed Under: News