Texas Instruments has introduced a new millimeter wave (mmWave) single-chip complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) portfolio. With this release, the company has brought an unprecedented degree of precision and intelligence to a wide variety of applications spanning the automotive, factory, and building automation, and medical markets.
The range includes 5 solutions across 2 families of 76- to 81-GHz sensors with a complete end-to-end development platform. The AWR1x and IWR1x sensor portfolio delivers up to 3 times more accurate sensing than the existing mmWave solutions on the market. This blend of sophisticated analog design techniques with digital signal processing enables designers to implement intelligent and contactless sensing in their systems.
Texas Instruments Unveils World’s Most Precise Single-Chip Millimeter Wave Sensor Portfolio
(Image Courtesy: TI)
Key Features of the mmWave Sensor Portfolio:
• Designers can select the best processing power with a fully integrated CMOS single-chip harnessing a best-in-class digital signal processor (DSP) and microcontroller (MCU) or a single-chip with just an MCU or DSP. Each chip delivers smart, highly accurate stand-alone sensing with less than a 4-centimeter range resolution, range accuracy down to less than 50 micrometers and range up to 300 meters.
• A broad portfolio containing five devices allows developers to select the right solution for their design needs while reducing power consumption and board space by 50 percent.
• TI’s mmWave 76- to 81-GHz single-chip sensor portfolio can dynamically adapt to changing conditions, bring multi-modal functionality to avoid false positives and deliver ranges of sensing to multiple applications.
• IWR1x and AWR1x mmWave sensors can sense accurately through plastic, dry wall, clothing, glass and many other materials, as well as through environmental conditions such as lighting, rain, dust, fog or frost.
• TI’s new mmWave software development kit (SDK) includes sample algorithms and software libraries which simplify RF designs through less than 20 simple application programming interfaces (APIs). By leveraging TI’s mmWave SDK platform engineers can start developing their applications in less than 30 minutes.
Availability and Pricing
The AWR1x and IWR1x – evaluation modules (EVMs) and samples are available through the TI store and authorized distributors for 299 USD.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology.
Filed Under: News