It is imperative to find solutions for enhanced expansion of compute capabilities for higher number of small sized devices located on distant corners of networks. It is one of the foremost conditions for connecting more than a trillion devices all over the world with supreme efficiency.
Fig. 1: Representational Image
If the tech world is able to accomplish the task of enhancing compute capabilities, it will play a key role in creation of Machine Learning (ML) applications straightaway and help the device in decision making at the source. There will be several side-benefits of this accomplishment that range from lower power consumption by network, less bandwidth usage, as well as lesser latency.
The Arm Helium Technology aims to meet all these goals that would allow implementation of MVE (M-Profile Vector Extension) for the Cortex-M series Arm processors for pulling up the level of compute performance of Arm8.1-M architecture. It takes its basis from the Arm TrustZone. The Helium technology promises approx. 15 times better ML performance along with 5 times better signal processing for upcoming Arm Cortex-M processors. The technology offers a fair deal for all Arm partners who often face performance issues due to restricted use of cost-effective and lower energy consuming devices.
Why The Arm Helium Technology Needs Serious Consideration?
There can be numerous reasons for taking a note of this technology. Here are some of the major ones:
● Next Level Compute: Arm was already catering advanced DSP (Digital Signal Processing) with its Neon technology in devices based on Cortex-A. However, for more restricted applications, the brand further added DSP extensions in other better performing Cortex-M processors like M4, M7, M33, and M35P. Both these technologies can be used together for accelerating ML compute in specific applications.
● Optimized power usage, standard costing, and design efforts: The consolidated functionality of this technique allows all these features.
● Single Toolchain: It helps in both signal processing and control software design and development.
● Smoother Software Development: Its extensive set of tools, libraries, and models hail from the well-established Helium ecosystem.
● Powering Up Next-gen IoT and Embedded Devices: Helium is the most advanced example of how Arm is adding up value to ML applications. There is hardly any product in market that can take care of all requirement, tt is for this reason, SoC developers need to innovate various constraints based on cost, power, area, and performance.
Filed Under: News