ROHM recently announced a duo of new Kionix accelerometers: KX132-1211 and KX134-1211. These devices are ideal for high-accuracy motion sensing for low-power consuming applications in consumer wearables and industrial equipment markets.
The practice of predictive maintenance for detection of abnormalities (and before equipment malfunction) has become more common in the last few years. One reason it became popular is because manufacturers were driven to increase efficiency levels and lower labor costs. Maintaining equipment before critical faults or failures typically reduces costs and downtime.
Predictive maintenance has also been of interest in health monitoring, wherein equipment reliability is essential.
ROHM’s three-axial accelerometers are specifically optimized for monitoring of machine conditions. They work on Advanced Data Path (ADP) technology, which enables sensor signal processing and noise filtering. Usually, this job is carried out by MCU, but now it can be addressed by the use of accelerometers.
The two Kionix devices share the workload of an MCU, thereby reducing the overall burden on the latter. The power consumption also goes down, improving the overall application performance.
Along with, the acceleration degradation and sensing frequency range for these devices go up to 8, 500HZ and ±64g respectively. These figures make KX134-1211 ideal for industrial applications. Even the operating temperature threshold goes as high as 105 °C.
Simultaneously, the sensor uses less than half current as compared to all its contemporary counterparts. Other interesting features include Wake Up and Back to Sleep functions, which largely contribute to sensing operation and lower power consumption in battery-operated wearable devices.
● ADP Technology: The Advanced Data Pass technology is a completely new feature that replaces the old filtering function of regular MCUs. Its sensor is equipped with multiple, customizable frequency filters that eliminate the unwanted noise signals by using a versatile configuration for the required signals. Every single filter can be switched OFF and ON for flexible operations.
● Machine Condition Monitoring: The KX132-1211 comes with a maximum frequency band extending to 4,200Hz and an acceleration detection range going from ±2g to ±16g. Furthermore, it has a much higher operational temperature threshold as compared to regular products.
● Reduced Device Power Consumption: The KK134-1211 consumes 63% lesser current as compared to all regular market products.
● Automotive smart keys
● Logistics tracking with GPS.
● Productive maintenance, condition/vibration monitoring, and machine health monitoring in motor equipped industrial equipment.
Filed Under: Components, News