Renesas Electronics Corporation recently launched its IISL78083, a highly integrated Power Management IC (PMIC). This new IC simplifies the power supply design for use in several HD camera modules. It reduces supply chain risks, bill of materials (BOM) costs, and the duration of development cycles.
The automotive camera PMIC accepts direct-from-battery (36-42V) or power-over-coax (15-18V) supply sources and supports output currents up to 750mA per output. This power level offers ample headroom for existing image sensors up to seven megapixels — and future sensors with even higher resolution.
“The innovative ISL78083 PMIC expands Renesas’ support for automotive surround view camera systems beyond the image processing capabilities of the R-Car SoC and into the design of the HD satellite cameras,” said Niall Lyne, senior director, Automotive Business Unit at Renesas. “Cameras designed with the ISL78083 are smaller and can be conveniently mounted in vehicle locations that provide the desired surround view camera angles without negatively impacting style or aerodynamics.”
The feature-rich 4-channel ISL78083 automotive camera PMIC includes a primary high-voltage synchronous buck regulator, two secondary low-voltage synchronous buck regulators, and a low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulator. The ISL78083 minimizes BOM cost, requiring seven to 10 less external components compared to competing solutions.
The ISL78083 also features four over-voltage (OV) and four under-voltage (UV) monitors, three power-good indicators and a reset output/fault indicator. A second reference is supplied for the OV/UV monitors.
● AEC-Q100 grade-1 certified for junction temperature going from -40° to +150° C and ambient operation temperature going from -40° to +125° C.
● An alternative spread spectrum function takes care of EMC/EMI interference issues.
● Input voltage range going from 4 to 42 Volts supports the power-over-coax, as well as direct supply fro a 12V battery power source.
● A 2.2MHz switching frequency that keeps out AM band inference and narrows down the needed output inductance and capacitance.
● Wettable flank packaging improves the solidity of solder connections and also allows optical examination of solder joints for much lower cost of manufacturing.
● Three buck regulators offer programmable output ranges from 1 to 5.05 Volts. It also provides LDO support from 2.8 to 3.4 Volts.
● Four UV (Under Voltage) and OV (over-voltage) monitors, three power-good indicators as well as a reset fault/output indicator.
● A second reference available for OV/UV monitors.
The mass production quantities of ISL78083 can be availed in 24-lead SCQFN, 4mm x 4mm wettable flank packaging.