Texas Instruments‘ AFE79xx is a family of high-performing, wide bandwidth multi-channel transceivers integrate several features, including:
- Four RF sampling transmitter chains
- Four RF sampling receiver chains
- Up to two RF sampling digitizing auxiliary chains (feedback paths).
The dynamic range of the transmitter and receiver chains allows generating and receiving 3G, 4G, and 5G signals for wireless base stations, while the wide bandwidth capability of the AFE79xx devices is designed for multi-band 4G and 5G base stations. Each receiver chain includes a 25-dB range DSA (Digital Step Attenuator), followed by a 3-GSPS ADC (analog-to-digital converter).
What’s more is each receiver channel has an analog peak power detector and various digital power detectors to assist an external or internal autonomous automatic gain controller, and RF overload detectors for device reliability protection. The single or dual digital down converters (DDC) provide up to 600MHz of combined signal BW.
In TDD mode, the receiver channel can be configured to dynamically switch between the traffic receiver (TDD RX) and wide-band feedback receiver (TDD FB), with the capability of re-using the same analog input for both purposes. Each transmitter chain includes a single or dual digital up converters (DUCs) supporting up to 1200-MHz combined signal bandwidth.
The output of the DUCs drives a 12-GSPS DAC (digital to analog converter) with a mixed mode output option to enhance 2nd or 3rd Nyquist operation. The DAC output includes a variable gain amplifier (TX DSA) with 40-dB range and 1-dB analog and 0.125-dB digital steps. The feedback path includes an 25-dB range DSA driving a 3-GSPS RF sampling ADC, followed by a DDC with up to 1200-MHz bandwidth.
● Maximum RF signal bandwidth
● SerDes data interface
● Dual NCOs for rapid frequency switching.
● Subclass 1 multi-device synchronization
● Package: 17-mm x 17-mm FCBGA, 0.8-mm Pitch
● 32-bit, 24-bit, 16-bit, and 12-bit resolution
● Quad RF Sampling 3-GSPS receives ADCs
● Quad RF sampling 12-GSPS transmit DACs