Renesas Electronics Corporation recently introduced a new pair of encapsulated hybrid digital DC/DC PMBus™ power modules, the 15-amp ISL8282M and the 10-amp ISL8280M. These hybrid digital power modules promise best-in-class power density amounting to 115mA/mm2 just inside 12mm x 11mm packaging. What makes the deal even better is the efficiency threshold that now stands at 95 percent.
Fig. 1: Renesas Hybrid Digital DC/DC PMBus Power Modules
These new modules caters all demands and expectations relative to synchronous step-down, single-channel regulated power supplies that work across an extensive input range going from 5 Volts to 16 Volts. Renesas also introduced the new ISL8210M as well as the ISL8212M analog power modules that come in the very same 12mm x 11mm packaging with respectively 10A and 15A current outputs . These hybrid analog and digital power modules offer POL (Point-of-Load) conversion for highly advanced ASICs, DSPs, memory and FPGAs used across a wide range of space constrained industrial applications, telecom, optical networking, storage, and servers.
Every single one of these devices integrates an inductor, MOSFETs, and PWM controller in a GHDA (Grid High Density Array) encapsulated module that has been optimized thermally recently. For completing the power supply designers ust need to add the output and input ceramic capacitors.
The ISL821 xM analog and ISL828xM hybrid digital power modules come with following features:
● Integrated LDOs that enable single-supply operation.
● Renesas’ patented R4™ high-speed control loop framework with inbuilt line voltage feed-forward.
● High noise immunity and super–fast load transient response for designers.
● Grid HDA package offering unique thermal and electrical performance via single-layer conductive package substrate.
● Extensive fault protection with current, temperature, and voltage protections.
● Optional PFM/light load efficiency mode.
● Seven switching frequency options going from 300KHz – 1MHz
● 4.5 V – 16.5V single rail input voltage along with 0.5V – 5V output voltage settings.
● 256 output voltage alternatives that can be configured via a simple pin-strap resistor setup.
In Maker’s Words
Philip Chesley, the Vice President of Industrial Analog and Power Business Division at Renesas, says, “Our newest power modules expand Renesas’ growing portfolio, adding new capabilities to our performance analog module family and bridging the gap between them and our full digital power modules. The new hybrid digital power modules offer class-leading power density and efficiency not achievable with discrete components. Compared to competitors’ module designs, the new Grid HDA package makes it easier for customers to mount the module on their circuit board.”