Although it was designed primarily as a teaching tool for mastering the principles of digital circuit design, ULX3S incorporates a wide array of features and interfaces, which lets it serve as a broadly useful module for installation in complex devices.
Built around a powerful Lattice Semiconductor ECP5-series FPGA chip, it is also supported by the latest open-source toolchains. ULX3S is one of the most powerful and desirable platforms available for FPGA enthusiasts. It comes equipped with onboard WiFi, display, buttons, LEDs, and storage.
It’s possible to flash it with an over-the-air (OTA) update using the WiFi connection or use the onboard OLED display and buttons to browse the contents of an SD card and select a bitstream. Thanks to its battery-backed RTC, the ULX3S can power-down completely and wake up only in response to certain events.
This feature makes it ideal for use in low-power applications such as battery-powered remote sensor nodes.
● Onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
● Display — placeholder for ESP-32
● Mass storage through Micro-SD slot
● 32MB SDRAM 166 MHz
● Seven buttons: one power button, four direction and two fire
● A 3.5mm audio jack with four contacts
● A digital video with 3.3V-5V 12C bidirectional level shifter
● Three-switching voltage regulators: 3.3V, 2.5V, and 1.1V
● A 25-MHz onboard, external differential clock input
● A low-power sleep feature