ON Semiconductor recently announced the sampling of its new QCS-AX2 chipset series, which provides flexible configurations for fast 6 GHz adoption with an enhanced Wi-Fi 6E standard. The high-performance, flexible architecture optimally supports Wi-Fi applications, such as access points, gateways, and mesh networking solutions for dense environments and underserved areas.
The new series is built on an integrated baseband and RF (radio frequency) architecture that supports following key Wi-Fi 6E features including:
- Orthogonal frequency-division multiple access (OFDMA)
- Advanced Multi-User, Multi-Input, Multi-Output (MU-MIMO)
- A160MHz channel support for faster speed
- SmartScan channel selection for maximum band use.
At a glance
The new product series includes:
1. QCS-AX2-A12 – It comprises tri-band (6GHz/5GHz/2.4GHz) with AdaptivMIMO technology that supports flexible 8×8 or 4×4 configurations
2. QCS-AX2-T12: It has tri-band concurrent 4×4 operation for high performance, cost-effective router solutions
3. QCS-AX2-T8: It is backed by tri-band concurrent 8-stream configurations for mesh nodes and mainstream access points
Significantly, ON Semiconductor’s Wi-Fi 6E solutions are designed to accommodate the transition to the 6GHz band with AdaptivMIMO technology while addressing mainstream 6GHz applications.
It’s pertinent to note that the 6GHz band is accelerating the development of the next-generation Wi-Fi 6 applications. However, as the 6GHz client ecosystem takes time to build out, Wi-Fi infrastructure devices (such as gateways, routers, and access points) will need to continue to support existing dual band (2.4GHz/5GHz) clients.
A Wi-Fi 6E infrastructure device loaded with AdaptivMIMO allows the network to operate in the 5 or 6GHz band, depending on a client’s network to maximize performance and coverage.
Recognizing that infrastructure applications, such as 6GHz backhaul between gateways and mesh nodes will lead deployments, ON Semiconductor’s series provides the Wi-Fi performance and connectivity in congested environments to multiple devices that applications demand.
“ON Semiconductor is at the forefront of building Wi-Fi 6E platforms that enable even better speed, efficiency, and performance for the Home, Enterprise, Automotive, and IoT segments,” said Irvind Ghai, VPof Marketing, Quantenna Connectivity Solutions at ON Semiconductor.
Simon Duxbury, GM and VP, Quantenna Connectivity Solutions, ON Semiconductor, said: “Our new series allows OEMs fast time-to-market with optimized performance across the 3 bands. As Wi-Fi 6E infrastructure proliferates, it will seed the 6GHz ecosystems. Client devices will also benefit from improved efficiency, lower latency and jitter, and less interference, providing better user experience across applications and environments.”
Filed Under: Components