Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, has announced the TW8844 LCD video processor that interfaces with the latest generation of automotive SoCs. It’s highly integrated first high-definition 1080p LCD processor with analog video decoder along with 2 scalers and MIPI-CSI2 SoC interface.
It offers the reliability needed by automakers to ensure that the rearview camera systems comply with the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS-111) for preventing injury or death caused by backover accidents. The sensor also allows migration from analog to digital camera systems and supports a variety of video interfaces and LCD panel resolutions up to full HD 1920 x 1080.
As far as the applications are concerned, the LCD processor is ideal for center stack/head units, full display rearview mirrors, instrument cluster displays, and dual-headrest rear-seat entertainment systems. The TW8844 model with MIPI-CSI2 and TW8845 model fitted with BT.656 output display live video with graphics overlay in less than 0.5 seconds after vehicle ignition.
Intersil Announces Automotive Industry’s First Full HD LCD Video Processor
(Image Courtesy: Intersil)
Moving on to the features, the processor offers a robust rear camera architecture to overcome the fast boot reliability issues inherent with today’s more complex center-stack systems. Presently, the head units are prone to the operating system (OS) software freezes and hang-ups that prevent the rear camera from displaying live video.
The TW884X eliminated this issue by monitoring the SoC and camera output to determine if they are in a frozen or corrupted state. Is any glitch is detected, it bypasses the SoC and instantly displays the rearview camera video.
Key Features and Specs
• Support several video inputs from analog or digital HD cameras
• Provide system flexibility to drive most LCD panels
• Two input measurement engines with frozen/abnormal image detection diagnostics to monitor input from the SoC and camera
• EEPROM fast boot allows register programming without need for external microcontroller
• Two separate H/V scalers for outputting up to 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution, allow processing of two different sources simultaneously while outputting different data to the SoC and display, or they can simultaneously drive two different displays with different content
• Automatic Contrast Adjustment (ACA), white balance and gamma correction optimizes video quality
• Smooth input switching allows switching between various input sources without screen flicker
• AEC-Q100 Grade-2 qualified for operation from -40°C to +105°C
Availability & Pricing
The TW8844 video processor with MIPI-CSI2 output is available now in a 14mm x 20mm, 156-lead LQFP package, and is priced at $10.00 USD in 1k quantities. The TW8845 video processor with BT.656 output is available now in a 14mm x 20mm, 156-lead LQFP package, and is priced at $9.50 USD in 1k quantities.
Intersil, a subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, is a leading provider of innovative power management and precision analog solutions. The company’s products form the building blocks of increasingly intelligent, mobile and power hungry electronics, enabling advances in power management to improve efficiency and extend battery life.
With a deep portfolio of intellectual property and a rich history of design and process innovation, Intersil is the trusted partner to leading companies in some of the world’s largest markets, including industrial and infrastructure, mobile computing, automotive and aerospace.
Filed Under: News