Importance of Mechatronics
Mechatronics is an integration of electronics, computer science and mechanical engineering. The manufacturing industries totally depend on the integration of computer and electronics technologies for better products and processes. As the situation became very competitive it was necessary to segregate the electronics and mechanical branches. This division of the two branches led to an interdisciplinary approach to introduce mechatronics. Mechatronics can be referred as Elctromechanical systems or control automotive engineering.
The mechatronics system includes:
- Measurement and actutation module – Signals are received from the external world and feedback signal. This segment consists of actuators and sensors like stepper motors, solenoids, AC/DC, strain gauge, temperature sensor/pressure sensors/photo sensors.
- Communication Module – The relative position of actuators and position of sensors can be measured to generate appropriate signals. These signals are transferred through the communication module to the CPU. The signal conditioning circuits, interfacing circuits and bus communication form the communication module.
- CPU – When the CPU recieves the signal, they can perform logical and arithmetic operations with a processor and software. An appropriate control signal is generated by the CPU.
- Output signal conditioning module – This module includes amplifiers to drive plotter, audio-visual indicators, ADC/DAC’s and displays. The output signal is forwarded to feedback module.
- Feedback module – This module generate signal proportional to the output signal which is forwarded to the measurement and actuation module. The signal from the external environment and the feedback signal are compared by the measurement and actuation module.
Filed Under: Recent Articles